Current:Home > InvestDigging to rescue 41 workers trapped in a collapsed tunnel in India halted after machine breaks -Prime Capital Blueprint
Digging to rescue 41 workers trapped in a collapsed tunnel in India halted after machine breaks
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 18:59:12
NEW DELHI (AP) — Attempts to reach 41 construction workers stuck in a collapsed tunnel in northern India for two weeks were again stymied Saturday.
The drilling machine broke down late Friday while making its way through the rubble, stones and metal, forcing the rescuers to work by hand to remove debris in hopes of reaching the stranded workers, but the whole operation has ground to a halt.
Arnold Dix, an international expert assisting the rescue team at the site in the mountainous Uttarakhand state, said that it was unclear when the drilling will start again.
“The machine is busted. It is irreparable,” he told reporters. “The mountain has once again resisted the auger (machine).”
Dix said the rescuers would need to pull out the entire drilling machine and replace it to restart the digging. He didn’t specify how much time that it would take.
EARLIER COVERAGE Rescuers in India trying to evacuate 41 workers from a collapsed tunnel are delayed again
The workers have been trapped since Nov. 12 when a landslide caused a portion of the 4.5-kilometer (2.8-mile) tunnel they were building to collapse about 200 meters (650 feet) from the entrance. The mountainous terrain in the area has proven to be a challenge for the drilling machine, which had earlier broken twice as rescue teams attempted to dig horizontally toward the trapped workers.
The machine stopped working after it had drilled about two meters (6.5 feet) of the last stretch of 12 meters (40 feet) of rock debris that would open a passage for the workers to come out from the tunnel.
Rescuers have inserted pipes into the dug-out channel and welded them together to serve as a passageway from where the men would be pulled out on wheeled stretchers. About 46 meters (151 feet) of pipe has been put in so far, according to Devendra Patwal, a disaster management officer.
Meanwhile, a new drilling machine used to dig vertically was brought to the site Saturday.
The vertical dig is seen as an alternative plan to reach the trapped men, and rescuers have already created an access road to the top of the hill. However, rescue teams will need to dig 103 meters (338 feet) downward to reach the trapped workers — nearly double the distance of the horizontal shaft.
Authorities have supplied the trapped workers with hot meals made of rice and lentils through a six-inch (15-centimeter) pipe after days when they survived on dry food sent through a narrower pipe. Oxygen is being supplied through a separate pipe, and more than a dozen doctors, including psychiatrists, have been at the site monitoring their health.
Most of the trapped workers are migrant laborers from across the country. Many of their families have traveled to the location, where they have camped out for days to get updates on the rescue effort and in hopes of seeing their relatives soon.
The tunnel the workers were building was designed as part of the Chardham all-weather road, which will connect various Hindu pilgrimage sites. Some experts say the project, a flagship initiative of the federal government, will exacerbate fragile conditions in the upper Himalayas, where several towns are built atop landslide debris.
Large numbers of pilgrims and tourists visit Uttarakhand’s many Hindu temples, with the number increasing over the years because of the continued construction of buildings and roadways.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Orville Peck praises Willie Nelson's allyship after releasing duet to gay cowboy anthem
- UConn wins NCAA men's basketball tournament, defeating Purdue 75-60
- Gwen Stefani Addresses Blake Shelton Divorce Rumors
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- 'American Idol' recap: Jelly Roll cries as he grieves with teen contestant Mia Matthews
- Oklahoma judge orders Kansas City Chiefs superfan ‘ChiefsAholic’ to pay $10.8M to bank teller
- Louisiana proposes bill similar to Texas’ migrant arrest law
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Chaos dominates NBA playoff seedings race in last week of regular season
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Librarians fear new penalties, even prison, as activists challenge books
- UConn vs Purdue live updates: Predictions, picks, national championship odds, how to watch
- Rihanna Reveals the Plastic Surgery Procedure She Wants to Get
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Terry Tang named executive editor of the Los Angeles Times after leading newsroom on interim basis
- Katt Williams cuts comedy show short by fight: Couple explains date night turned brawl
- Contractor killed by aircraft propeller lost situational awareness when she was fatally struck, Air Force says
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Missouri to carry out execution of Brian Dorsey after Gov. Mike Parson denies clemency
Gwen Stefani Addresses Blake Shelton Divorce Rumors
How effective are California’s homelessness programs? Audit finds state hasn’t kept track well
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
The Daily Money: Hard times for dollar stores
Judge denies 11th-hour request by Trump to delay start of his hush money criminal trial
Broken record: March is 10th straight month to be hottest on record, scientists say